Mashed Celeriac & Potato Casserole
Celeriac adds a bright celery-like flavor and lightens the texture in this healthy mashed potato casserole. The fried shallots are reminiscent of the crispy onions that top a green bean casserole.
Active: 50 mins
Total: 2 hrs 15 mins
- 2 pounds celeriac (celery root), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup sour cream or whole-milk plain Greek yogurt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 ¼ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chives, plus more for garnish
- 1 ½ cups thinly sliced shallots
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Step 1: Place celeriac in a large pot and add 3 inches of water. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Add potatoes, cover and return to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are very tender, about 25 minutes.
- Step 2: Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 3-quart shallow baking dish with cooking spray.
- Step 3: Drain the vegetables and return to the pot. Mash with a potato masher to a coarse consistency. Add sour cream (or yogurt), butter, mustard, salt and pepper; mash until mostly smooth. Add chives and stir to combine. Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Smooth the top. Tightly cover the pan with foil.
- Step 4 :Bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until the top is browned, about 30 minutes more.
- Step 5 :Meanwhile, prepare fried shallots: Separate shallot slices into rings. Heat oil in a small skillet or saucepan over medium-high heat until shimmering. (To test if it’s hot enough, add a shallot ring: if it starts sizzling on contact, the oil is ready.) Add half the shallots and cook, stirring frequently, until browned, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove pan from heat and use a slotted spoon to transfer the shallots to a paper-towel-lined plate. Cook the remaining shallots and transfer to the plate. They will get crispier as they cool. (Discard remaining oil.)
- Step 6: Let the casserole cool for 10 minutes. Serve topped with the fried shallots and more chives, if desired.
To make ahead: Refrigerate unbaked casserole (Steps 1 & 3) for up to 2 days; let stand at room temperature for 1 hour before baking.
Serving Size: 3/4 cup Per Serving: 234 calories; protein 3.8g; carbohydrates 31.6g; dietary fiber 3.8g; sugars 4.1g; fat 10.9g